Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Seeking: One Lithe-Bodied, Free-Spirited Young Woman........

........trapped in the shell of a middle-aged, arthritic suburban mom.  Have you seen her?  You know, the one who let herself go?

Yeah.  I know.  I've seen her, too.  Often.  In my mirror multiple times a day.

You'd think I'd make the connection, make the change, but I just can't seem to do it.  First it was going to be after baby #1.  Then it was going to be after baby #2.  And now baby #1 is eighteen years old and on the verge of beginning her adult life, taking classes at the local state university, meeting new people, going on dates, and living her own life.  Away from mom.

Sigh.......I'm not ready yet.  I'm really not ready.  It took me years to think of myself as a stay-at-home, fully committed MOTHER.  Now my paradigm is I'm ONLY MOM.

What happened to that free-spirited, risk-taking woman I knew?  The one who could charm a room of strangers, especially men?

I'm seeking her.

3 comments:

Jeff B said...

I'd be willing to say she's still in there. Just taking on a different form that represents the season she's living in.

I've looked at myself and wondered at times, "When did I get so firggin' boring?" I used to be the life of the party and much more of an extravert than I am now.

Being a parent; raising children seems to, in many cases, change our character. That's not necessarily good or bad, it's just a function of life I suppose.

Now the next question that comes to mind is this: What happens when our babies leave the nest?

Dondi said...

Indeed, Jeff. What does happen? I will be facing an empty nest rather soon, so I'm exploring those options now!

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I agree with Jeff.. I have seen glimpses over the years

Well Jeff, when they leave hummm... I left my son, so that does not count..then I had Nancy's sons, now they are basically gone...but the job left too, so that means there is no money so... Jeff, let me know what happens when the babies leave the nest, I am too screwed up to know!